Plumber and Piping Trades Foundation
Looking for an in-demand career in the plumbing or piping trades, but don't know which trade to choose? Then this may be the ideal program for you!
The pre-apprenticeship foundation program is designed to help you to get the knowledge and skills you need to be prepared for employment in the plumbing or piping trades. We combine classroom theory and work-based training to give you hands-on experience assembling, fabricating, maintaining and repairing systems.
Our 24-week pre-apprenticeship program prepares you for entry-level employment for three different trades including:
- Sprinkler System Installer
To work as a plumber or pipefitter you should:
- Be physically fit and have good mobility for lifting
- Have good manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination and balance
- Be able to work at heights and in adverse weather
- Be prepared for the following risks; dust, fumes, noise and vibration
Why choose a career in the plumbing or piping trades?
- According to WorkBC, low interest rates and a growing economy have resulted in a rapid increase in commercial, institutional and industrial construction activity in BC which continue to be an important job supply for plumbers.
- The demand for steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers in BC is driven largely by the construction industry. About one-half of new openings will result from new job growth. This industry has experienced rapid growth, creating a demand for skilled workers.
In northern BC, many steamfitters and pipefitters work in resource-based industries, such as forestry and mining, oil and gas. These resource industries have experienced strong economic growth as a result of rising global commodity prices.