Automotive Service Technician
Are you the happiest when you are under the hood or in the shop?
To work as an automotive service technician, you should have:
- A good understanding of mechanical systems electronic equipment and engines
- The ability to troubleshoot and diagnose mechanical issues
- The ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
Duties may require you to inspect, diagnose, repair and service various systems and components of cars, buses, motorcycles, and light and commercial transport trucks.
Why choose a career as an automotive service technician?
- According to the British Columbia Labour Market Outlook: 2018 Edition, careers for automotive service technicians are in high demand, with an estimated 6,700 job openings by 2027.
- Low interest rates, dealer incentives and population growth over the past several years resulted in strong motor vehicle sales, which resulted in more cars that require servicing.
- A wide assortment of daily tasks and the opportunity to specialize in specific areas (eg: automotive air-conditioning repairperson or transmission technician) allows for a variety of career options.